Actual photo of Larson doing research in 1957.
LARSON BLOG

Saturday, July 12, 2008

GOD BLESS TONY SNOW

The news hit me like a freight train. Former Fox News anchor and White House Press Secretary Tony Snow passed away today. I knew he was again battling cancer in recent weeks and I had spoken to him not long before things took a turn for the worst. But I don't think any of us in his wide circle of friends expected he wouldn't bounce back this time. What a shock. Here's just a sampling of his career and legacy:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,381250,00.html

I join so many people who don't just mourn a national figure but a great friend as well. We first met at a Cal Thomas/Media Fellowship dinner in Washington, DC in the mid-1990s. (Cal remembers Tony: http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/07/12/a-man-who-loved-his-family-and-his-god/ ) He was a frequent guest on my radio show, including at on-site White House broadcasts. Tony often allowed me to borrow his Fox News studio for my own show when I was in the Nation's Capital on business. He also introduced me to many network contacts who remain friends to this day.

MORE REMEMBRANCES OF TONY: http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=2252619&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl

We also kept in touch regularly, and he was always interested in faith and family more than just politics. He was consistently friendly, open and encouraging. During his first bouts with cancer, a phone call to encourage him would turn into siuation where Tony did the encouraging. We also connected well since we're nearly the same age (within two months), and we often joked about that. He also left memories no one would expect, such as his constant hassling about my hair, telling people it was a hairpiece. In the midst of my interview with Donald Rumsfeld at the White House he playfully messed with me on the subject (and messed up my non-rug hair), including after I'd "thrown him out of the guest chair" to squeeze in the Secretary of Defense.


























Tony often talked about his faith and never hid it. He appreciated every prayer from all around the world. He didn't hide his Bible to be politically correct. Now all of us who prayed for him so often need to continue doing do for his loving wife Jill and three wonderful children. God bless him. I will miss him deeply.