Actual photo of Larson doing research in 1957.
LARSON BLOG

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED TO ME...

... ON THE WAY TO CAPITOL HILL: I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

Visitors to LarsonBlog.com have read about what's gone on since I chose to leave KOGO in early June. Unhappy with the corporate-mandated switch from 12-3PM to 6 to 8PM, I opted out for a variety of reasons. I really enjoyed my time there (and the local people), but it wasn't what I signed up for. It became clear to me that deciding to leave KOGO was an opportunity to take some time to sort out all of the things on my to-do list. That meant assessing everything from whether I wanted to keep doing radio in its current out-of-town-corporate-controlled environment to expanding my own media services company and speakers agency (both have been doing increasingly well in recent years). I had also been considering running for Duncan Hunter's seat in Congress.

But as I've noted on my Blog, it's amazing to see what happens when you take a risk and step out into uncharted territory. Free agency is an wonderful thing, and people often reach out with opportunities that weren't envisioned initially. Enter John Lynch, CEO of Broadcast Company of the Americas (owner of XX Sports 1090 and 105.7 and Cash 1700 AM). John and I worked together as part of the KFMB team in the mid 1970s and were also part of the San Diego Radio Broadcasters Association, where I was President for eight years. I have always appreciated his love for local-controlled radio, creativity, energy and entrepeneurial spirit. So it got my attention when he began asking me lots of "what if's". In the last couple of weeks the meetings got rolling, I agreed to do a consulting project for the stations then...well.. it just all came together and made sense... and I signed a four year deal.

We agreed to build a new station: San Diego 1700AM. On August 1st, we'll change from Cash 1700AM and I'll begin a new live, local morning show from 5 to 9AM. San Diego-based Ray Lucia will continue to do 9AM to NOON. New local programming will soon be announced in the 12-3PM slot, and a variety of San Diego and Southern California shows will air 3-6PM, including longtime financial expert Bill Holland. Additional programs will be added in coming weeks, along with enhanced news and information. We're also creating a very strong partnership with XX Sports Radio, and cross-promoting beginning today. XX Sports reports will air on San Diego 1700, and among the things I'm looking forward to will be a reuniting of yours truly with Ted Leitner (ala our KFMB days) for a regular morning update. I will also do commentaries on XX Sports Radio starting in August. For me, getting back together with the station that brings you Padres baseball is extra special, reminding me of the many years when we were together at KFMB. After my 31 years in San Diego, it sure seems like a natural fit. We'll talk about all this as I'll be making several appearances today on XX Sports Radio 1090AM and 105.7FM. We'll also begin a new promotional campaign including during Padres radio broadcasts.

In addition to doing the weekday 5-9AM show, I'll also serve as Program Director for San Diego 1700. I will continue to operate Mark Larson Media Services, Inc and do guest-hosting on the Michael Reagan national talkshow (doing so again next Monday). John and I also agree in understanding the "call of community service". He knows there may be a point in the future where I decide to run for office and he's accepted that. Yes, it's been a VERY interesting few weeks "contemplating". I feel very blessed by this unexpected opportunity, and I'm thrilled to be partnering with the BCA team!

More updates coming soon here on the Blog... and thanks for your support.